I believe that weekend trips are double the fun rather than the well planned long vacations (it is completely my feeling, not all may agree). What makes these small trips more exciting is the suddenness of the trip. Anyhow, be it a weekend trip or a long one, who doesn’t love going vacationing? And that too if it is on a budget! Budget vacations have become easy, thanks to coupons and deals, which are easily available these days. One such couponing site is Happy Sale.
Well, it’s going to be a long weekend this time and there’s no doubt that you must already have started planning a trip to some nearby place(s). For all of those who haven’t yet thought of it, here’s some ideas.
Top 5 destinations
Here is a list of top 5 destinations that are perfect for that long weekend. Make your choice based on where you stay:
- Malana – Known for its scenic beauty, it is a little hamlet situated in Himachal Pradesh, to the north east of Kullu. It still remains one of the untouched beauties, overshadowed by the majestic Chandrakhani mountains. Malana people call this place the Little Greece in Himachal Pradesh because they trace their lineage to Alexander the Great. They follow an inbred governing system, which is completely different from the Indian Constitution. In fact, this place is considered as one of the first democracies of the world. It is also home to the best cultivated charas popularly known as Malana Cream.
Image Source: s3.Scoopwoop
- Gravity Defying Palace – If you are in love with history, museums and architectural beauty, then this place is a must visit for you. Situated in Lucknow, a city known for having some enigmatic palaces, the Gravity Defying Palace is one of the most awe-inspiring architectures. It is a perfect blend of Arabic and European architecture, a creation of Nawab Asaf-ud-Daula. This building boasts of a 50 meter arched hall, which is three stories high, but has no beams or pillars for support. It is said that this has been possible due to interlocking brick work. And then there’s a dense maize made of 1000 stairs and passages, which was meant to slow down invaders. Get a guide to avoid getting lost!
Image Source: blog.mapsofindia
- The Sundarbans – Sundar in English translates to Beautiful and ban translates to forest. Other than the literal translation, the name of this forest is related to the most common plant in the region, Sundari. Situated in West Bengal, it is the largest Mangrove forest and delta of 10,200 sqkms in the world. It is home to several endangered species such as the Royal Bengal Tigers, Olive Ridley Turtles, King Crabs and Batagur Baskas. So, if you love wildlife, it is a must visit this weekend. What’s more? You can have some awesome food as well.
Image Source: cluboasis
- Lepakshi – Lepakshi is a part of Andhra pradesh. This is a small community situated in the Ananthpur district and is known for the famous Lepakshi temple. It is an archaeological site, with the beautifully sculpted temple dedicated to the fiery Lord Veerabhadra, an incarnation of Lord Shiva. Other than the intricate architecture, the temple is also known for the fresco paintings. Stories of the best known Indian epics, the Ramayana and the Mahabharata are depicted on the temple ceiling in fresco. However, the greatest mystery of this temple is a pillar that is supposed to hold together the whole of the architecture.
Image Source: The Hindu
- Devikulam – This place is truly an untouched beauty, a little hill station in Kerala. As the name suggests, it is said to be the abode of the Goddess and has always been related to the Ramayana. It also derives its name from the Devikulam Lake, a place where Goddess Sita is said to have taken a bath. This lake is also known for its healing powers, which may have come from the heavy mineral deposits that have built up on a continuous basis.
Image Source: keralatourism
India has been home to several civilizations and monarchies and then the governments. It has evolved with time and there has been numerous developments as well. So, there are no dearth of places to visit. The above listed places are only a few. You can either consider the ones listed in this article or go to other places of your liking. Happy vacations!
travelling is such a happiest activity in this world.