Online marketing and promotions are a minefield. There are so many ways out there to get your message out. But there are also a million ways of messing this up. One of the common areas where newbies trip up are in link building methods. This is important as Google, along with other search engines and web crawlers, tends to use the number of links leading to a site while calculating its search rank. Often, many new users, no knowing how the web operates, tend to either neglect this vital part of online business, or mess it up by using link building methods that aren’t very effective.
The best way to go about this is to only use natural link building methods. These are the best ways to ensure a high rank for your site. Here are some ways you can do so:
- Blogging: Blogging is a fantastic way to get your message out there. You can start a new blog or even do guest blogging. This will ensure that your message gets noticed in a natural way.
- Niche communities: You can join a niche community or other web forum where you can contribute. Being known as an expert will help boost your website or links’ popularity in a natural way.
- Use video: Video is the hottest thing online and often shows up first in searches.
- Social networks: You can easily include your website/links in your Twitter profile. Now, when you sign up for another service that uses your twitter handle, all your information will get submitted – including you links.
- Press releases: It might sound counter intuitive but press releases are a great natural link building method – some magazine or newspaper editor might find it interesting and use it as a filler item!
Mistakes to Avoid:
- Buying links – This may seem to be a surefire way to get plenty of links but search engines such as Google have caught on. In fact, getting caught is a guaranteed way to be penalised.
- Keyword anchor-text only: This will raise a red flag as nothing screams ‘junk’ like loads of anchor-text only links without any substantive, unique content!
- Directories: There are many web directories you might be tempted to sign up for. However, many of them are just repositories for junk entries. In fact, aim for only those directories that are relatively hard to get listed in!
- Quantity of content: Low quality content on hundreds of sites will not help your ranking. It’s better to adopt a natural link building method and submit only quality content!
- Mass social network submissions: A complete no-no! This is a horrible method and will not get you anywhere!
Well, we hope the above tips come in handy for you. Keep in mind that web search engines and crawlers are very smart and can easily figure out if you try and ‘beat the system’. On the other hand, use natural linking building methods exclusively and your marketing and promotions will work fine!