Have you caught a glimpse of the new NBC show on TV called “Who Do You Think You Are?”, the one that features various celebrities wanting to find out where they come from. This show would never had seen the light of day, if it weren’t for the popularity of genealogy.
Genealogy is the study of where you come from, in other words – your ancestors. Research via public records is required in order to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. Which is exactly what genealogy is, a giant history puzzle that is scattered about and located in myriad places.
Each week on Who Do You Think You Are? a different celebrity signs up to find an old relative that has gone missing without a trace. The celebrity then literally goes on a wild goose chase all over the world, wherever the public records take him or her to grab a piece of the puzzle. Each piece brings them closer to unraveling the mystery of the missing relative and it’s quite fascinating to watch. Throughout the journey, they uncover many secrets and previously unknown information about their families.
Which brings us to the question. Why has the field of genealogy taken on a recent surge of popularity?
- Ancestry.com – Ever since sites dedicated to finding and preserving “the family tree” sprung up in the late 90’s, there has been an increase in the topic of family history. Ancestry.com is perhaps one of the better known and most established sites on the topic of genealogy and is the go to place for those who seek to find and create their family tree on the web. This site single handedly is responsible for the sheer interest and demand for family life history.
- Who Do You Think You Are? – The popular TV show that airs once a week on NBC follows one celebrity and his or her quest to find out more about their ancestors and their family tree – has also fueled interest in all things genealogy. The show travels all over the globe in search of history which is fueled by public record information and what you think you’re going to find is sometimes not what is expected. An informative, entertaining and captivating series.
Have you taken a recent interest in your family tree? If so, what online or offline resources have you used and what has been your experience so far. Weigh in below in the comments.
Genealogy is an interesting field with an air of mystery surrounding it that holds one in suspense throughout the journey. Whether you’re seeking a long lost relative, are doing a school project or simply have a passing interest in the field, lucky you – as genealogy is here to stay.
Latest posts by Praveen Rajarao (see all)
- Everything You Need to Know About WordPress Survey Plugins - July 18, 2017
- Top Rated PS4 Games in 2017 - July 12, 2017
- Top 5 Apps For Coffee Lovers - May 26, 2017