One of the biggest problems with working at a desk for eight hours a day is fighting off the weight gain that typically results from such a sedentary job. However having a desk job doesn’t have to mean automatic weight gain, it means you have to make the choice to live a healthy lifestyle no matter what. These five tips will help you stay healthy at your desk job:
- Start your day off with exercise– Hit the gym or the pavement before you go to work every morning to start your day off on a positive note. The movement will rev up your metabolism so you’re burning calories right away, and the endorphins that are a direct result of your workout will put you in a good mood and leave you ready to tackle any tasks thrown your way.
- Eat breakfast– There’s a reason they say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day: after eight hours of sleeping you are literally breaking your fast. Sleeping is the longest time we go without any food, and eating a healthy breakfast will help give you energy and start your day off on a positive note. When you start the day healthy you set yourself up to continue with healthy habits throughout the rest of the day.
- Take regular breaks– It’s easy to get caught up in your work and end up sitting for hours at a time without moving more than your fingers across the keyboard. However while that may give your fingers a good workout, it does nothing for the rest of your body. Take a five minute break and walk around every hour – your mind and your body will thank you for the short break from the computer and your desk chair.
- Bring your lunch– Going out to lunch every day is one of the major causes of weight gain for people who work in an office. The extra large portions, excess sodium, and lack of nutrients pack on pounds in no time at all. By bringing your lunch every day you control the size of your meal, as well as what goes into it, so you can make healthy choices instead of unhealthy ones. Added benefit? It will be cheaper on your wallet too!
- Drink tons of water– Instead of drinking coffees loaded with sugar and creamer or sodas that are heavy with empty calories drink water throughout the day. It will help keep you fuller for longer and help you cut out a lot of unnecessary calories.
Working at a desk job doesn’t have to mean that weight gain is inevitable; it just means that you have to be willing to put extra effort into living a healthy lifestyle. Cutting out fast foods, making it a point to get up and move, and replacing sugary drinks with water will not only help you avoid weight gain, but it will also probably help you lose some weight as well, leaving you happier and healthier.
About the Author:
This guest post is contributed by Debra Johnson, blogger and editor of full time nanny. She welcomes your comments at her email Id: – jdebra84 @ gmail.com.
Latest posts by Praveen Rajarao (see all)
- Everything You Need to Know About WordPress Survey Plugins - July 18, 2017
- Top Rated PS4 Games in 2017 - July 12, 2017
- Top 5 Apps For Coffee Lovers - May 26, 2017